day fourteen. the white house.
I love running in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, the pmp, as we affectionately call it, because there is so much wonderful running to be had. Flats and climbs and rocks and sand, you can literally (and I have) run for hours back in there and incredibly enough, you're also smack dab in the heart of the city.
And although each of the trails has an actual name I believe, as I've run with friends back there, I've learned the local nicknames as well. We have jj out and back and the rachel loop and honey ridge and reunion point, the devil's backbone and four peaks. I love them all, but for some reason, the white house holds a special place in my heart.
Just to the east of the first peak off the 32nd street trail, high up in the preserve is this white house. I don't think anyone lives there now, and she just sits up on a mountain by herself - acting as somewhat of a landmark to runners who might not be sure which way to turn once they're inside the preserve.
We don't run that way very often unfortunately, but on days when I want a little extra mileage or days when I just need to clear my head a bit - I head up her way.
Maybe it is the little climb up to where she is. Maybe it is that suddenly the air seems a little bit clearer once you're there.
Whatever it is - her magic always does the trick - and today was no exception.
Grateful.
xoxo,
momo

No comments:
Post a Comment