Friday, December 14, 2012

thirty days with a grateful heart. day nine.

day nine.  rain.

Last night it rained like hell at my house.




omg.

it.was.awesome.

I love the rain, especially in Arizona.

My father loves it, too.  When I was a child, my whole family would sit in our carport at Luke AFB and watch the rain.  And then at some point, usually when it was raining the very hardest, we would climb up into our old orange station wagon and drive to Baskin Robbins.  Where funnily enough, my dad always ordered vanilla. 

I'm think I am learning to appreciate that about him. 

Such a good memory.  I'd almost forgotten how cool it was just to sit there, my sisters and my parents and me, in our lawn chairs in the garage... waiting.  Anticipating the sweet reward that was waiting for us - just down the street.

Last night, I sat in the cabana for awhile and just watched it fall... listening to the thunder and breathing in the smell.  It reminded me of that time made me ever so grateful for all the simple traditions I have been blessed to have and to share with my family and loved ones over the years. 

Didn't quite make it to Baskin Robbins, although I am fairly certain there will be a next time.

xoxo,
momo

1 comment:

Anne said...

I've been away for awhile and didn't realize the big transition you're undertaking. Stay strong. And stay in touch with me and with all of us. We can serve as a big source of strength just when you need it, like at 1:52 am.